James P. Mullen
Mr. Mullen specializes in real estate law, with a particular emphasis on property acquisition and development, commercial and industrial leasing, construction law, and real estate finance.
Mr. Mullen represents developers, investors, and property owners in purchase and sale transactions of unimproved land and development sites and office, commercial, and industrial buildings. He has experience in preparing CC&Rs and access and easement agreements for planned developments and commercial and industrial condominium projects. Mr. Mullen also advises both lenders and borrowers in secured financing matters, particularly assisting borrowers in negotiating and closing multi-family agency loans (Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac).
Mr. Mullen has broad experience representing landlords and tenants in office, retail, and industrial leasing transactions. This experience includes negotiating and documenting leases for all types of clients, from small retail tenants to office landlords and tenants and owners and users of large industrial warehouse and distribution facilities. In addition, Mr. Mullen advises landlords and tenants in connection with lease disputes and a wide array of lender financing and subordination issues.
Mr. Mullen also has substantial expertise in counseling and assisting clients on documenting and managing construction projects, from tenant improvements to the construction and rehabilitation of large industrial, commercial, and institutional facilities.
- Representation of a developer/general contractor in connection with the construction of multiple industrial projects in Los Angeles County, California, having an aggregate value of more than $36 million.
- Representation of a multi-family public REIT in connection with the purchase and financing of multiple apartment communities nationwide, with a total value of more than $1 billion.
- Representation of a developer in the construction, joint venture contribution, and sale of a $46 million, multi-building industrial project in Los Angeles County, California.
- Representation of a land developer in structuring and documenting the sale of 960 acres of residential land in Riverside County, California through a complex, multi‑phase option transaction.
- Representation of publicly-traded REIT in connection with project leasing activities at several light industrial/office projects in Hawaii and Arizona.
- Representation of health and beauty services franchisees in leasing numerous retail locations throughout Southern California.
- Representation of a financial services company in leasing multiple headquarters and satellite office locations nationwide, comprising more than 200,000 square feet.
- Representation of a data services company in structuring and documenting a multi‑prime construction project for the $6 million rehabilitation and expansion of a corporate data center.
- Representation of a buyer in the purchase of a 135,000 square foot build‑to‑suit headquarters, warehouse, and distribution facility in Long Beach, California.
- Representation of a property management company in connection with its property and construction management contracts for a 25 million square foot portfolio.
Before joining Garrett DeFrenza Stiepel Ryder LLP, Mr. Mullen was an associate with DLA Piper LLP in San Diego, California.
J.D., University of Notre Dame, 1999
B.A., University of Notre Dame, 1996
State Bar of California (Real Property Law section)
Orange County Bar Association (Real Property Law section)